Monday, November 29, 2010

Single Crust Apple Pie

What's Thanksgiving without apple pie? This past Thanksgiving, I was in charge of apple pie and decided to try out a new recipe. Since my favorite part is the cinnamon apple filling, I chose to make a single crust pie, so I could load the pie with my own apple filling. The result was delicious, but it's not your traditional apple pie.


Ingredients:
6 apples
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp cinnamon
6 tbsp butter, slightly melted
1/3 cup water
1 pie crust

Steps:
1. Core and halve apples. Cut into thin slices.
2. Toss apples in lemon juice, 1 tbsp cinnamon, vanilla extract, brown sugar and 4 tbsp of the melted butter.
3. Add 1/2 cup water and mix well.
4. Boil on stove until apples are soft and most of liquid has boiled off. Set aside.
5. Coat pie crust in 2 tbsp butter and 2 tbsp cinnamon.
6. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375 degrees and continue cooking for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
7. Fill pie crust with apple filling.
8. Before serving, warm apple pie for 10 minutes at 200 degrees.

Serves 6-10

1 comment:

  1. OHMYGOD I LOVE THIS APPLE PIE! I usually prefer more apple than pie so this would have been perfect for me! I can't wait to try your cooking again some day (^^)

    ReplyDelete