Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Apple Cinnamon Buttermilk Scones

I can't usually go a weekend without baking something, and this weekend was no exception. The weather has finally cooled down a bit in Phoenix, I woke up to temperatures in the 70s! So this morning I decided to incorporate one of my favorite flavors of fall, cinnamon apples, into scones. I remember eagerly watching my mom prepare scones when I was growing up, but I never really paid close enough attention to make them myself. When I first tried making scones myself a few years ago, I realized they are quite easy to prepare and take relatively little time to bake. And scones are like biscuits in that you can easily transform them from a morning pastry to a savory side dish, simply by changing up the mix-ins to your batter.




Ingredients
1 granny smith apple
1 tbsp brown sugar
Cinnamon
1 tbsp butter

2 cups flour
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup butter (room temperature)
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs

Steps
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a small sauce pan, melt 1 tbsp butter. 
3. Dice apple into small chunks, about the width of your thumb. (You want them large enough to maintain a slight crunch after baking the scones)
4. Add apples, brown sugar and cinnamon to the melted butter. Stir so that apples are fully coated. Let simmer for 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. Whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, and baking powder together in a large mixing bowl.
6. Cut in butter, until flour mixture resembles coarse crumbs. 
7. In a small bowl, beat eggs and whisk in buttermilk, milk and cinnamon apples. 
8. Add all at once to flour mixture, and stir with a fork until batter is just moistened. 
9. Turn out dough onto a flour surface and form into a 1/4 inch thick rectangle. Cut dough into triangles.
10. Arrange scones on a lined baking sheet so they are not touching.
11. Bake for 12-14 minutes, until golden brown.  

Makes 16 small or 8 large scones

No comments:

Post a Comment