Sunday, September 7, 2014

Lemon Poppyseed Biscuits

Last night I once again found myself craving something sweet that would let me savor some of my favorite summer flavors. Berries and peaches are among my favored produce, so I'm always looking for new ways to use them! A tried and true summer favorite is strawberry shortcake, but it's one of the recipes I most often play around with. Whether it's chocolate or the lemon poppyseed biscuits that follow, there are so many interesting combinations off such a basic concept.

I served these lemon poppyseed biscuits with sliced peaches and a small scoop of vanilla ice cream. But it's a biscuit that's not too sweet and could easily pair well with other fruits, whipped cream or even just a pad of butter. While I definitely see myself bring this recipe out for a future brunch party, it'd be perfect for a bridal shower tea or dessert like I enjoyed last night.




Ingredients
1 1/2 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tarter
1 1/2 tbsp poppyseeds
1 stick butter, softened
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp lemon extract

Steps
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, sugar and cream of tarter and poppyseeds in a large bowl. Mix well.
3. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
4. In a small bowl, mix buttermilk, lemon juice and lemon extract.
5. Pour liquids all at once into flour mixture. Mix until well combined, the batter may still be lumpy. 
6. Drop biscuits onto the lined baking sheet, using a spoon and spatula to form small mounds.
7. Bake for 10-11 minutes, until golden.

Makes 6 biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment