Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Irish Cream Lava Cake

Ever since I learned to cook on my 11th birthday, I've always enjoyed the process of planning and cooking my birthday meal. There's something inherently satisfying in sharing my passion for food and giving something back to those who've joined to celebrate my birthday.

This year, I planned my meal around an Irish theme. I adore Irish cuisine and it always seems fitting since my birthday falls so close to St. Patrick's Day. For dessert, I did my own spin on molten cakes by topping them with one of my favorite liqueurs. Enjoy!





Ingredients
1 cup dark chocolate baking chips
1 stick butter
1/4 cup cake flour
1/4 cup half and half
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
1/3 cup baking sugar
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
3 oz Irish Cream liqueur

Steps
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Oil lava cake pan or small ramekins.
2. Melt dark chocolate and butter.
3. Add in half and half and flour to chocolate mixture and mix well.
4. Combine eggs, egg yolks, sugar and vanilla. Beat 4-5 minutes until fluffy.
5. Fold in chocolate mixture to egg mixture.
6. Pour lava cake mixture into pans, leaving about 1/4 inch of space.
7. Add 6-8 chocolate chips to each lava cake and shake pan to sink chips.
8. Cook 8-10 minutes, or until just firm on top.
9. Let cool for 2 minutes and turn out onto plate.
10. Melt chocolate chip in center and pour 1/2 shot of Irish cream into center.

Serves 6

No comments:

Post a Comment