Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Hashbrown Enchilada Casserole

Nothing is better than sharing a great meal with friends, so it seemed only fitting to celebrate my birthday with a brunch. What's more I spent more time planning what to serve than actually cooking, but that's as it should be. Most of my menu consisted of baked goods, that I could prepare ahead of time. But I wanted something heartier for the table, yet still easy so I wouldn't spend my entire morning cooking. Anyone who knows me know how much I love potatoes, and southwestern flavors. Thus, the inspiration for my hashbrown enchilada casserole. The recipe went over really well with my brunch guests, and what I really love about this recipe that you can set it and forget it. All the ingredients go in a slow-cooker overnight and in the morning, it's ready to serve.




Ingredients
1 bag frozen cubed hashbrowns
2 bell peppers
1 onion
2-3 medium-size tomatoes
1 can green chiles
2 cups cheddar jack or jalapeño jack cheese
1 cup sour cream
4 eggs
1 cup milk
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp ancho chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried jalapeño 

Steps
1. Dice bell peppers, onion and tomatoes.
2. Combine sour cream, milk, eggs and spices. Beat well.
3. In a slow-cooker on low heat, layer half of the hashbrowns, then half of the bell peppers, onions, tomatoes and green chiles. Lastly add a layer of cheese. Repeat with the remaining half of the hashbrowns, vegetables and cheese. 
4. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the hashbrown casserole. 
5. Cook for 6.5 hours, then lower the slow-cooker to warm until you're ready to serve. 

Serves 8-10

No comments:

Post a Comment