Thursday, February 20, 2014

French Toast Casserole

Thanks to my loyal readers, I know it's been a while. I've been busy traveling and working, but my recent adventures have given me some new restaurants and ideas. Stay tuned! 

Recently I've been fascinated with finding new ways to re-purpose my leftovers. Working a night shift, I tend to make a few meals on my weekend that I can eat throughout the week. But who wants to eat the same thing twice in one week if you don't have to. I've had great luck turning my pulled pork into a sweet potato and pulled pork hash for breakfast. But today, I've got something really simple for my favorite meal of the day -- brunch! I took my tried and true mix for my french toast, and combined it with some leftover baguette overnight. All in all it takes about 10-15 minutes the night before and 25-30 minutes in the morning, while you're getting ready for your day. 



Ingredients
1/2 leftover baguette (or a fresh demi baguette)
1 1/2 cups milk
4 eggs
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon

1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 stick butter

Steps
1. Cut or break leftover baguette into 1/2 to 1 inch pieces.
2. Grease a baking dish and arrange baguette pieces in an even layer.
3. Combine milk, eggs, honey, vanilla and cinnamon and beat well. 
4. Pour evenly over the bread. Cover and let rest in the fridge overnight. 
5. In the morning, heat oven to 350 degrees. 
6. Melt butter. Add brown sugar and mix well. Spread over the top of the french toast mixture.
7. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving. 
8. Serve with fresh fruit, syrup or powdered sugar.

Serves 3-4

No comments:

Post a Comment