Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Stuffed Tomato

Summer Fest 2010 - Tomato


This summer I am excited to participate in Summer Fest 2010, a month long food & garden blogging community tribute to the harvest season. Each Wednesday participating bloggers will post recipes highlighting that week's fresh produce pick. The schedule is as follows: 7/28 cukesnzukes, 8/4 corn, 8/11 herbs, greens and beans, 8/18 stone fruit, 8/25 tomatoes.

Summer Fest 2010 is coming to an end this week. It's been quite fun, and allowed me to be adventurous as I developed recipes for each week. Today I share a baked stuffed tomato inspired by my favorite Italian flavors and the monstrous heirloom tomatoes I've been seeing at the market. And unfortunately I was so anxious to dig in to my creation, that I completely forgot to take a picture. But hopefully that won't deter you from giving it a try.


Ingredients:
2 large heirloom tomatoes
1 small onion
1/2 can artichoke bottoms or artichoke hearts
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
5 slices prosciutto
1/4 lb fresh Italian sausage (if buying a packaged Italian sausage that has casing, remove it before cooking)

Steps:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cook Italian sausage over medium heat, until it starts to brown. Set aside to cool.
3. Cut out the center of each tomato to form a bowl shape. Save removed tomato.
4. Dice onion and removed tomato.
5. Dice prosciutto.
6. Crumble Italian sausage.
7. In a small bowl, mix Italian sausage, prosciutto, tomato and onion.
8. Generously fill tomatoes, and top with mozzarella cheese.
9. Bake for 15 minutes.

Serves 4-6 as a side/appetizer, or 2 as a meal

No comments:

Post a Comment